Welcome

Outside of commercially manufactured adrenaline rushes, the emotional toe-dipping lust for hot new skinny jeans or the fastest phone exists our increasingly rare genuine human experience. I sometimes struggle to remember that while life lives episodic, it is based on eternal themes. I hope that you are entertained by my exploration of this apparent dichotomy.

Saturday, May 12, 2012

For Mom


It was longer ago than I care to admit that I came into this world.  But this is not about me.  It’s about the woman that brought me into this world.  While I may look back with a bit of regret here and there, she looks back with a smile.

I have pictures of her from the fifties and sixties when she was a young woman with bright eyes and dark black hair done up in the poofy fashions of the times.  She’s there with my father as young man, or with my curly haired sister and fat little me.  She’s always smiling. 

She still is.  Even so, she still has a temper.  She always has, though it's mellowed over the years.  I recall times when, being the most challenging child that I possibly could, I brought on her anger.  I brought it on, but never out.  I never remember her reacting to my misbehavior in anger.  Rather her discipline was, even if strict by today’s standards, measured and richly deserved.

As I look back I realize that she made possible most of the things that make childhood happy.  I owe her all of my child smiles. 

She provided wisdom and guidance as, still a challenge, I grew into a man.  She was a shoulder to cry on and a source of kind words and confidence.  She lifted me up when I needed it and took me down a peg or two when I deserved it, always gently guiding. 

She’s older now and she’s suffered the things that we all will in time.  She’s lost sisters and friends.  We lost my father ten years ago and even though she still misses him daily, she lived through it, a heartbreak that I cannot imagine.  She’s had the physical ailments that come with the frailty of age.  Those have only slowed her down a bit, not stopped her.

A few years ago she was injured and I was granted the opportunity to repay to her the tiniest fraction of what she’s done for me.  She’s a woman of faith and would probably say that God wanted it that way.  I just know that I’m very grateful for that chance.    

She’s still kind.  Still cajoling.  Still laughing.  Still living life.  And still showing me the way.  I look to her to learn how to age with grace and acceptance, yet without surrender.

So, to all the women out there that have ever put a child’s happiness before their own, I say thank you. 

To all of you who have such incredible women in your lives, try to find a way to thank them.  You can never do it enough, but don’t worry.  They’ll understand.

And especially to the one in my life, to my mom, thank you and I love you.

Happy Mother’s Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment